Home » Local »  Holocaust memorial rededicated at Pastoral Center grounds

Holocaust memorial rededicated at Pastoral Center grounds


Cardinal Walter Kasper, president of the Pontifical Commission for Religious Relations with the Jews, lights a candle of the Holocaust memorial menorah which was rededicated at the archdiocese’s Pastoral Center March 25. Pilot photo/ Gregory L. Tracy

Help us expand our reach! Please share this article

BRAINTREE -- Representatives from many of Boston’s faith communities gathered at the Pastoral Center March 25 for the rededication of a Holocaust memorial menorah in what was described as a reaffirmation of the archdiocese’s commitment to the ongoing dialogue between Catholics and Jews.

Cardinal Walter Kasper, the Vatican’s chief liaison to the global Jewish community, was present at the rededication and called the memory of the Holocaust, “an unfinished agenda.”

“This memorial may remind us of the past, our common duty and our common responsibility for the future -- to work and pray for peace for the tortured region of the Holy Land, to work and pray for peace for the whole world...for this country and this city, and for us all,” said Cardinal Kasper.

The Yom Hashoah Menorah was presented to the archdiocese by Jewish leaders in 2002 and dedicated on the former Chancery grounds in Brighton.

The four-foot bronze Yom Hashoah Menorah depicts six men and women holding torches, representing the six million victims of the Holocaust, and a child and holy man clutching a prayer book set upon a cracked Star of David, inscribed with the years 1933-1945 and the first words of the ‘‘Kaddish,’’ a Jewish prayer of mourning the dead.

Help us expand our reach! Please share this article

Submit a Letter to the Editor