Local

Obituary: Father William Mullin, laborer for justice and peace

byFather Robert M. OGrady
3/30/2007

Father William Mullin Pilot file photo

Father William H. Mullin, an archdiocesan priest since his ordination on Feb. 9, 1965 at Quincys St. Ann Parish at the hands of Richard Cardinal Cushing died after lingering illness on March 20 at South Bostons Marian Manor.

He was one of the four children of the late William and Bertha (Clancy) Mullin. After graduation from Archbishop Williams High School in Braintree in 1957 and attended Boston College for two years before entering St. John Seminary, Brighton.

During his 42 years of priestly service, Father Mullin served in several parishes across the archdiocese as an assistant, or an associate pastor or a parochial vicar: St. Anthony of Padua, Cohasset (1965-1968); St. Mary of the Angels, Roxbury (1968-1975); St. Ambrose, Dorchester (1975-1977); St. Philip, Boston (1977-1983); St. Robert Bellarmine, Andover (183-1987), St. Joseph, Medford (1987-1990); St. John the Evangelist, Beverly (1990-1997); St. Francis of Assisi, Braintree, (1997-1999) and St. John the Baptist, Quincy (1999-2003).

Declining health required his being granted disability status in 2002 and senior priest status in 2004. Even in his declining state he was still present for activities and causes close to his heart.

Father Mullin, was a quiet, almost reserved man, yet was passionate about justice and peace. His longtime friend Father Bill Kremmel of St. Athanasiusm, Reading said, He was a great champion of non-violent solutions to social problems.

In addition to his priestly assignments he was also active at the Pine Street Inn and various ecumenical and social organizations in the city of Boston and beyond.

Father Kremmel was the principal celebrant and homilist of Father Mullins funeral Mass celebrated March 23 at Most Blessed Sacrament Church, Quincy. Survivors include his sister, Geraldine, Dorchester; Peter, Milton and Patrick, Falls Church, Virg. Father Mullin was buried in Blue Hills Cemetery, Braintree.