Father Thomas W. Moriarty Pilot file photo
Help us expand our reach! Please share this article
Bishop Robert Hennessey was the principal celebrant and Father Charles Sheehy was the homilist at the funeral Mass celebrated for Father Thomas W. Moriarty on Aug. 9 at Regina Cleri Residence Chapel.
Thomas W. Moriarty was born in Brockton a son of the late Frank and Sarah (Thompson) Moriarity, he attended local schools and after graduation from Brockton High School he attended Boston College, a member of the Class of 1937. He entered St. John’s Seminary and Auxiliary Bishop Richard Cushing ordained him to the priesthood at Holy Cross Cathedral on May 1, 1942.
All of Father Moriarty’s active priestly ministry was in parishes of the archdiocese. Cardinal O’Connell appointed him to his first assignment as an assistant at St. Joseph Parish, Kingston.
He subsequently served as an assistant at St. James Parish, Arlington (1944-1945); St. Bridget Parish, Maynard (1946-1949); St. John the Baptist Parish, Quincy (1949-1963); and St. Luke Parish, Belmont (1963-1968).
Cardinal Cushing appointed Father Moriarty as pastor of Bellingham’s St. Brendan Parish on July 23, 1968. Archbishop Medeiros named him pastor of St. Paul Parish, Hingham on May 2, 1972 where he served until May 8, 1973. Cardinal Medeiros named him pastor of St. John Vianney Parish in Revere’s Point of Pines section on Jan. 7, 1975 where he served until being named an associate at Infant Jesus Parish, Brookline on Sept. 1, 1978.
For the next nine years he served in Brookline until Cardinal Bernard Law granted him senior priest/retirement status on March 1, 1988.
Since his retirement he has lived at the archdiocesan residence for senior priests, Regina Cleri, in Boston’s West End. Most recently he lived on the infirmary floor as the years took greater toll on his physical and mental capacity.
Father Moriarty’s survivors are his nieces and nephews.
Joining Bishop Hennessey and Father Sheehy as concelebrants of Father Moriarty’s funeral Mass were many of the priests resident at Regina Cleri and archdiocesan vicar general, Father Richard Erikson.
Father Moriarty was buried in Calvary Cemetery, Brockton.