Printer Friendly Format

Local
Msgr. William Glynn retiring from Duxbury parish in June

By Father Robert M. O’Grady
Posted: 3/9/2007

Print Friendly and PDF

Msgr. William Glynn Pilot file photo


BRIGHTON -- An archdiocesan priest, widely respected and admired by the priests of the archdiocese and loved by parishioners in the several parishes he has served will retire as pastor of Holy Family Parish in Duxbury on June 30. Msgr. William Glynn has been the pastor of the South Shore parish since September 1981.

A son of St. Gregory Parish in the Lower Mills section of Dorchester, Msgr. Glynn grew up in a heavily Catholic area of Boston and a parish that produced many vocations. His younger brother John was an archdiocesan priest before being named an auxiliary bishop of the archdiocese for the military services. Bishop John Glynn died in 2004.

He is an alumnus of the Boston Latin School, Boston College and St. John’s Seminary. Archbishop Richard Cushing ordained him to the priesthood at Holy Cross Cathedral on May 1, 1947.

His first assignment was as an assistant at St. Mary Star of the Sea Parish, Beverly. Even though it will be 60 years since then Father Glynn served in the Northshore parish he is still remembered as an outstanding priest. After four years in Beverly he headed south to St. Mary, Wrentham, where he served for just one year.

In 1952 he began a 20-year career at the archdiocesan office for the Society of the Propagation of the Faith. The famous missionary society, established in every almost every diocese, seeks spiritual, moral and financial support for the missionary activity of the Church. Father Glynn helped make the missions known and also helped bring missionaries to the archdiocese to preach the mission and seek support.

During the first eight years he was assistant director and in 1960 he was named director. On December 19, 1960 just a few days after his 38th birthday, Blessed Pope John XXIII named him a Domestic Prelate with the title of Rev. Msgr. He remained as Director for the next 12 years until Archbishop Medeiros named him pastor of St. Catherine of Genoa parish in Somerville.

His return to parish life was a great gift to Somerville’s parish on the hill and the fine rectory was filled with priests assigned to the parish or in residence and served as a teaching parish with deacons from archdiocesan seminaries living and learning from Msgr. Glynn.

Six years later, Msgr. Glynn returned home when he was named pastor at St. Gregory Parish in Dorchester. Just three years later he was asked to go to the burgeoning town of Duxbury and its rapidly expanding parish, Holy Family. In 1988 he saw the dedication of the new parish church, which he had labored with brother priests and parishioners in Duxbury to bring to completion. On Sept. 1, 2006 he celebrated 25 years as pastor in Duxbury.

An affable, gregarious and kind gentleman, he loves being around brother priests and people and always has an enthusiastic and supportive word. An avid golfer, he has had time to work on his game in the otherwise busy parish; in retirement he’ll be able to perfect his game.

Msgr. Glynn plans live in his own residence in retirement.