Abuse allegation against Father Mendicoa found 'unsubstantiated'
By Pilot Staff
BRAINTREE -- The Archdiocese of Boston announced April 30 that it has found unsubstantiated claims of child sex abuse made in August against Father John M. Mendicoa. The alleged incident dated back to the 1980's
Father Mendicoa, the former pastor of Sacred Heart Parish in Roslindale, had been placed on administrative leave after receipt of the allegation.
In a statement, the archdiocese said, "Father Mendicoa is no longer on administrative leave and has now been assigned the status of Senior Priest, restricted."
The statement also outlined the limits of Father Mendicoa's ministry in the future.
"Father Mendicoa's ministry, beyond sacramental celebrations with members of his family, will be exercised with the permission of the vicar general and moderator of the curia of the Archdiocese of Boston," it said.
The statement also reaffirmed the commitment of Cardinal Seán P. O'Malley in dealing with cases related to sex abuse.
"The Cardinal and the Archdiocese remain committed to resolving cases of this nature in a manner that is as just as possible for all involved," the statement said.